Topic: Current state of Total Mix FX and surround formats

hi

Currently using a Madi FX via an SPL 7.1 analog monitor controller to do 7.1 surround mixes

I'm going to go Dolby Atmos and the SPL controller obviously won't support the extra .4 speakers so I was thinking of buying the RME ARC controller to use instead.

I don't normally touch Totalmix as I do everything direct in Nuendo (I know I'm missing out !)

I know I can group faders to make this work but there was talk of this being natively supported in the control room

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=21451

I also see 1.7 b5 is out but the release notes seem a little thin ? - Is this now supported ?

thanks

Re: Current state of Total Mix FX and surround formats

Sorry, not supported right now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias

is it still on the 1.7 roadmap ?

Roadmap yes, 1.7 not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok - patience is a virtue smile

(even if it has been several years)

can you bear in mind, if you do implement it, that surround isn't just 5.1 anymore.  Atmos and other multichannel audio is pretty big so it would be good to cover all these more common ones.

I'll pick up the ARC anyway and see if it fits my workflow.

thanks again

Just adding a +1 to this feature request (surround support in the Control Room, Dolby Atmos support, even if possible fine tuning adjustments like delay compensation, ...) if it can help move up this feature request in the priority list wink.
I’m considering selling my RME audio interfaces because of this.

+1 for this functionality!  I'm using output EQ to do top / sub crossover point and using OSC to fade a fader group of main, rear and sub outputs in order to make a DIY 4.1 controller... It's far from ideal, but it works ok.  I'd love some dedicated functionality for this, including proper crossover assignment / bass management and some delay on the outputs (as mentioned in the previous post) for alignment purposes.

Pretty please?!

brooksaudio wrote:

I'd love some dedicated functionality for this, including proper crossover assignment / bass management and some delay on the outputs (as mentioned in the previous post) for alignment purposes.

Yes, that would be super useful.
If you desperately need a delay on a stereo out, there is this workaround using the Echo:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26978

hselters wrote:

there is this workaround using the Echo:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26978

Unfortunately the delay values are too course for doing time alignment. You need increments of 0.1ms

ah yes, I was not aware that this is not possible with the echo, too bad.

I´m in the process of building a recording studio with dolby atmos mixing capabilities, i wanted to use all RME AVB and Madi devices but the lack of Dolby monitor control, dedicated delay lines and EQ, just throw me off.

For now my solution is, HDSPe MADI FX for routing and headphone mixes, MADI stream into Directout Prodigy MC (64 analog I/O for connecting all the outboard gear and Dolby speaker setup, Ravenna stream into a Merging Anubis for monitor control and speaker management.

So please RME...Run.

I have absolutely no information on RME's roadmap, however, I am certain, ATMOS would be on the radar.
Personally, I would love to do the upgrade to Atmos sometime soon in the future and of course I would love to continue using RME equipment (as I have for the last 25?? years since the Multiface was released).
Yes, I messed with other gear, but that always leads to wishing they could take the RME lead and make reliable drivers and continue to support their infrastructure.
So yup, keen to see what may eventuate!! :-)

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

I have absolutely no information on RME's roadmap, however, I am certain, ATMOS would be on the radar.

On the radar ? - yes, but they still haven't really embraced 5.1 (despite 'promises')... which is decades old big_smile

Totalmix is already close of making it work for atmos as far as I can tel. Group multiple output faders, there is EQ. Just the adding a time delay on output channels would be great. When that's there the RME stuff would be an amazing alternative to some super expensive solutions.

childrenof9 wrote:

Totalmix is already close of making it work for atmos as far as I can tel. Group multiple output faders, there is EQ. Just the adding a time delay on output channels would be great. When that's there the RME stuff would be an amazing alternative to some super expensive solutions.

Some kind of bass management solution would be great too.

There is always the option of routing to some dedicated software on the way in / out of the computer as well, but doing it in Total mix / RME DSP with lower latency would be preferable.

16 (edited by Potscrubber 2022-07-03 05:34:24)

I am happily using TotalMix FX  with a 7.1.4 Atmos system, but only as a signal router and master volume (with grouped faders).

I use Reaper as a monitor matrix, VST host (metering, bass management, Dirac Live).  It's fed by looped back channels in TotalMix FX from Nuendo, Sequoia, Foobar 2000, Windows audio, external inputs.  While there is a latency overhead, it's negligible during mixing and I've found it far preferable to doing all this in the Nuendo monitor control panel for instance.

Everyone has different needs, but I found when I really dug into what I want in a monitor system, it far exceeded what I would ever expect (or want) TotalMix FX to provide.  A lot of rooms will typically use a QSC or BSS external DSP units for this type of job.  In the box has worked out for me.

Just speaking for myself, the only limitation in TotalMix FX for me is being limited to four mute groups (for speaker muting via the ARC USB).

Simon

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Potscrubber wrote:

I am happily using TotalMix FX  with a 7.1.4 Atmos system, but only as a signal router and master volume (with grouped faders).

Just speaking for myself, the only limitation in TotalMix FX for me is being limited to four mute groups (for speaker muting via the ARC USB).

I think this is a great solution. Probably will go down this road with a second computer (running Reaper doing the speaker management) over Dante to take all the weight off the main computer.

Then there is the option to run the DAPS on the 2nd machine too.

Speaker muting isn’t an issue for me as I do this with snapshots.

brooksaudio wrote:

I think this is a great solution. Probably will go down this road with a second computer (running Reaper doing the speaker management) over Dante to take all the weight off the main computer.

Then there is the option to run the DAPS on the 2nd machine too.

Speaker muting isn’t an issue for me as I do this with snapshots.

Yeah, agree, we think alike.  I designed it so that I can switch to running Dolby DAPS on a second PC (last studio PC as Hackintosh - runs great!) via a 128ch Madi connection, if that workflow is better for a given project.

Yes,  Snapshots are possible for speaker muting but I'd prefer not to be doing state recalls for something simple like that.  I have my ARC setup with the 4 mute groups for broad group muting, and then use a plugin for more granular muting/soloing if I need it.

I think I read MC said somewhere that more than 4 mute groups was not possible (I guess a memory or resource issue). Cue crying emoji.  :-)

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Potscrubber wrote:

I think I read MC said somewhere that more than 4 mute groups was not possible (I guess a memory or resource issue). Cue crying emoji.  :-)

You could switch workspaces using a streamdeck or similar then you could have more mute groups although it's still a bit clunky!

I come from the live sound world where snapshots are king anyway hehe