Topic: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 78 / 49 and ADI-2 Pro 262 / 113

Note: usually we publish Windows and Mac version simultaneously. But the Mac FUT includes some other urgent fixes, so the firmware update for Pro and DAC are already available for Mac users. The Windows FUT will hopefully come soon (blaim Corona).

Here comes a small update with issues that were found after the last firmware update (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34588). The ADI-2 DAC series changes from DSP48 to 49, the ADI-2 Pro series from 112 to 113.

Pro and DAC

- Do not load Volume: This option was critizised to have a confusing double negation. We changed that, it is now renamed to Load Volume, with the two choices with Setup or Disabled.

- Do not load volume: did not always work as expected - fixed. Please note that when loading the Factory Setup ignoring the option was intentional (to also get the factory volume settings). We changed that, it now also follows the current Load Volume setting.

- Remote Locked now allows to use the volume keys on the remote, equalling  Keys Locked where volume still worked.

- B/T changed to +/-12 dB. I have to confess that I had a hard time to accept this change, and just hope it doesn’t backfire. The former way of handling it was perfect for me, +/-6 dB does not screw up the sound but allows for a quick turn adjusting the Bass and Treble as the current tune needs it.

Since the inclusion of B/T into the PEQ we got requests to allow them to work up to +/-12 dB, as the other bands do. Unfortunately there is no way to have +/-12 dB in the PEQ  and only +/-6 dB in B/T, it must be the same limit, as these are the same controls.

Now one could argue that in typical HiFi units B/T has always been at least +/-10 dB, so why not doing it here too. Well, some users that hate tone control anyway, will turn the knobs, land on +12 dB bass or treble, and immediately write unasked posts everywhere how shitty that sounds. So far this never happened with the tamed +6 dB max. Fingers crossed I don’t have to read such nonsense in the future…

Pro only

- In Dual EQ mode a graphics refresh was missing in the Bode plot.

- In Dual Phones mode with AutoRef active, inserting a TRS jack into Phones 1/2 could cause a wrong dBr setting.

The firmware update tools:

Win: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_win.zip

Mac: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_mac.zip

Updated manuals Pro, v 3.6:

German: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2profsr_d.pdf

English: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2profsr_e.pdf

Updated manuals DAC, v 3.1:

German: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_d.pdf

English: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-04-05 15:06:37)

Re: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 78 / 49 and ADI-2 Pro 262 / 113

MC, at the time (few minutes ago) the English Manual of DAC is still 3.0

Edit: Now correct, version 3.1 smile

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

3 (edited by ning 2022-04-06 04:10:02)

> Here comes a small update with issues that were found after the last firmware update (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34364). The ADI-2 DAC series changes from DSP48 to 49, the ADI-2 Pro series from 112 to 113.

the link should be :  https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34588

Thanks for the update! I'm installing it right away.

Edit: Now corrected.

4 (edited by anttipi 2022-04-06 11:10:00)

MC wrote:

- Remote Locked now allows to use the volume keys on the remote, equalling  Keys Locked where volume still worked.

May I ask what prompted this change? To me, if a remote is said to be locked, it clearly should be locked. In certain circumstances I will now have to hide the remote out of sight, if indeed I understood this right.

Volume is a crucial setting that needs to be always available. In case someone changes it unintentionally it is easy to set back, other than the myriads of options that child fingers could screw up. In that way it makes sense to have the same situation/handling on the remote as on the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It seems that, after the update to 113, crossfeed is disabled at 192kHz. As I recall this worked as it should before.

From the manual: "At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ (1 x stereo) can be active, not both at the same time."

Johannes AU wrote:

I still got 3.0 in English

s.-o.-s wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

I still got 3.0 in English

Caching problem. The correct version is definitely uploaded.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

larst wrote:

It seems that, after the update to 113, crossfeed is disabled at 192kHz. As I recall this worked as it should before.

From the manual: "At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ (1 x stereo) can be active, not both at the same time."

You wrote 192 kHz, but most probably meant 768 kHz? It works here as expected. You must have overlooked EQ or BT still active, for example EQ on the Analog input (hint: Crossfeed alone can be active on 1/2 and 3/4, even at 768 kHz. But as soon as an EQ is activated on any of the three paths both outputs loose Crossfeed).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
larst wrote:

You wrote 192 kHz, but most probably meant 768 kHz? It works here as expected. You must have overlooked EQ or BT still active, for example EQ on the Analog input (hint: Crossfeed alone can be active on 1/2 and 3/4, even at 768 kHz. But as soon as an EQ is activated on any of the three paths both outputs loose Crossfeed).

I meant 192! Crossfeed disabled both by eyes - '(1)' - and by ears.

Not on my unit, with 113. I can enable all and any FX, this never happens. But your pic tells me that Crossfeed is not normally disabled (), but greyed out. That means you are in DSD mode.  Analog Input DSD Conversion is set to DSD, right?

Edit: I will try later if this is a new bug. It might have been introduced in 112 already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have used direct DSD and listened to DSD but I still have the issue when turning it off.

96kHz works as it should but 192 is both greyed out and in ().

Strangely enough, when I turn OFF auto detect DSD I get crossfeed disabled (but without the ( ) ) for 96.

As you say the issue might've been there in 112. Did my first DSD listening the other day and don't recall checking out the crossfeed menu between that and when I upgraded to 113.

Ah, yes, you are correct! I have also recently experimented with dsd-recording! The analog input conversion was set to DSD and when I changed it the issue disappeard!

But still a bug I guess, but maybe an old one!?

Could we get a simple option to change the amount of volume a single click changes, from 0,5 to 1?

This is just nit-picking at this point, but it'd be nice to have when using the remote. Also I'm one of those people who HATE leaving the volume at, let's say 26,5 instead of 26 or 27.

Is this possible?

15 (edited by ning 2022-04-09 14:33:31)

exact wrote:

Could we get a simple option to change the amount of volume a single click changes, from 0,5 to 1?

This is just nit-picking at this point, but it'd be nice to have when using the remote. Also I'm one of those people who HATE leaving the volume at, let's say 26,5 instead of 26 or 27.

Is this possible?

I don't think so. volume interval is not constant. on the low volume end it doesn't jump by 0.5.

The Windows Firmware Update Tools are now available on our website. Thank you for being patient!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, I am calling up the RME USB Flash Update Tool (Windows 10) for an update to the latest version for the ADI-2 DAC. The Update Tool lists as the New revision: USB 78, DSP 48 with the programming stauts Up-to-date (As-is on the DAC). Any reason as to why the Update Tool is not offering USB 78 & DSP 49 as the new revision? Thx.

KL wrote:

Hi, I am calling up the RME USB Flash Update Tool (Windows 10) for an update to the latest version for the ADI-2 DAC. The Update Tool lists as the New revision: USB 78, DSP 48 with the programming stauts Up-to-date (As-is on the DAC). Any reason as to why the Update Tool is not offering USB 78 & DSP 49 as the new revision? Thx.

It should work, I've just upgraded to DSP 49 via the Windows FUT.

19 (edited by Pervasive_Silicon 2022-04-14 14:07:11)

Just updated my ADI-2 Pro FSR BE to ver. 113 and the +-12 dB tone control in the PEQ works great!
Well done Matthias & team!

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

KL wrote:

.. The Update Tool lists as the New revision: USB 78, DSP 48 with the programming stauts Up-to-date (As-is on the DAC). Any reason as to why the Update Tool is not offering USB 78 & DSP 49 as the new revision? ...

What is the file last modified date of your fut_mfusb3.exe?

• December 24th 2021

• January 20th 2022

• April 11th 2022

• ???

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

21 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-04-14 17:33:54)

KL wrote:

The possible reason is the FUT file you have is the former one. Everytime when there is a new firmware release, download the latest one and run it.

The FUT is not a software doing the over the air update, it is an individual tool itself, though bears the same filename, the readme file is different at each version after you unzipped, it carries the new firmware changed items in it.

If you want to keep the old file, rename it to a different name, such as FW Vxx/yy dd/mm/yy.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Regarding the lastest modified date of the fut_mfus3.exe file: 20.01.2022 with the intention to update to 11.04.2022. It good to read that it works obviously but not on mine simple Windows 10 setting.

Thanks for the advise to run the new firmware release file individually :-) I have done/will do this now again. In doing so I am wondering what the function of the RMW USB Flash Update Tool is if it is not allowing to migrate from one prior version to the lastest one. As written, the Tool on my setting indicates that the New revision is USB 78, DSP 48 (already implemented since January) even if the new version USB 78, DSP 49 is released and ready to download.

KL wrote:

Regarding the lastest modified date of the fut_mfus3.exe file: 20.01.2022 with the intention to update to ...

Wrong one. Each version has only one "intention" for the DAC:

• December 24th 2021 updates DAC to FPGA 66, DSP 46

• January 20th 2022 updates DAC to FPGA 78, DSP 48

• April 11th 2022 updates DAC to FPGA 78, DSP 49

KL wrote:

...Thanks for the advise to run the new firmware release file individually :-) ....

"Individually"? "Only" would be better.

Run only the file from April 11th 2022 for an actual update, forget all other.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

24 (edited by KaiS 2022-04-18 11:28:56)

@ MC

Having a closer look at the schematics / drawings on Pro manual page 44, 52, 71 and DAC manual page 39, 55:

The symbolized 1/4” TRS Neutrik jacks have their Tip and Ring connectors designation reversed in the drawing.
On 1/4” Neutrik TRS the longer center connection is Tip, the shorter is Ring.

Also not quite as obvious, for the drawing of the generic 1/4” TRS the same is true: center connection should be “Tip”.

If one does follow this literally and closely the result will be wrong.

- B/T changed to +/-12 dB. I have to confess that I had a hard time to accept this change, and just hope it doesn’t backfire. The former way of handling it was perfect for me, +/-6 dB does not screw up the sound but allows for a quick turn adjusting the Bass and Treble as the current tune needs it.

I wonder if a user survey was conducted to make such a change?

I am currently testing with pure MS UAC2 driver using ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2 Pro fs using this FW release.

PC's: 1. PC as Win10 Pro ENG 20H2 or 2. PC as Win10 Pro ENG 21H2

Result:

- Device seen but not any SR possible (SR capabilities all OFF) seen by my app by WASAPI Exclusive interface,

- so play or record do not works at all

- Only WDM interface works.

Connecting the Cosmos ADC & WASAPI Exclusive interface works as expected, right after connecting.

So the question:

- Is this ADI-2 pro xx FW dependent

- Any known older working FW release so UAC2 works as excepted using ADI-2 Pro

- or ???

Any help is welcome...

Did you change to Multichannel mode? UAC-2 works better in Stereo mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

larst wrote:

Ah, yes, you are correct! I have also recently experimented with dsd-recording! The analog input conversion was set to DSD and when I changed it the issue disappeard!

But still a bug I guess, but maybe an old one!?

I checked firmwares back to 2019 - it has always been this way. We will try to improve that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did you change to Multichannel mode? UAC-2 works better in Stereo mode.

Yes, WASAPI Exclusive works on stereo mode as 32bit only big_smile

I like to use SPDIF using UAC2 as with the mentioned 25...200kHz SR range O:(

Reading page 6:

When used as USB interface, the Class Compliant UAC 2 mode can be set to Stereo or Multichannel. Multi-channel mode turns the ADI-2 Pro into a 6 channel (Analog 1/2, AES, SPDIF) record and 8 channel (Analog 1/2/3/4, AES, SPDIF) playback audio interface, that even works as
iPad front-end up at up to 192 kHz sample rate. In stereo mode sample rates up to 768 kHz are supported, for high resolution recordings or PCM, DXD and DSD record/playback

This means on MS Windows UAC2 as above and should be mentioned & fixed:

- Maximal SR on MS Windows is still on year 2022 384kHz!

- Multichannel Mode is now obsolete?

- SPDIF using UAC2 as with the mentioned 25...200kHz SR range?

Cheers Hp

You did notice that UAC2 is a driverless mode? I don't see how the hardware can know that you use a Mac, an iOS device or Windows with UAC2. And only the latter is limited to 384 kHz. And we won't limit the hardware for that for everyone else.

Apart from that I had mentioned the weirdly acting Multi-channel mode already here when we introduced Windows native compatibility:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p132206

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You did notice that UAC2 is a driverless mode? I don't see how the hardware can know that you use a Mac, an iOS device or Windows with UAC2. And only the latter is limited to 384 kHz. And we won't limit the hardware for that for everyone else.

Apart from that I had mentioned the weirdly acting Multi-channel mode already here when we introduced Windows native compatibility:

Well, thank you for the link! It explains all O;)

I did not know that, as this in year 2022 still exists. In words the document at page 6 is than false as mentioning working .

Keep in mind that the UAC2 driver MS (as from Thesycon) is a feedback driver (using clock control) with limited implementation(s).

So one should explain, how a 25...200kHz on SPDIF gets data as 44.1/48....192kHz SR  transferred big_smile

32 (edited by hpw 2022-04-20 16:09:30)

MC wrote:

And only the latter is limited to 384 kHz.

OK, WASAPI Exclusive runs on 768kHz, may the default mixer ends on 384kHz... just tested given FW on stereo mode

Cheers Hp

33 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-19 06:12:11)

Bug:

Hor. Meter “Post-FX dBu” shows 3 dB too low level for PH 1/2 output.

This is the case even with the option: Mute v. TRS 1/2 = ON, so Line Out 1/2 gets muted with headphones plugged in, so PH 1/2 is the only active output.

KaiS wrote:

Bug:

Hor. Meter “Post-FX dBu” shows 3 dB too low level for PH 1/2 output.

This is the case even with the option: Mute v. TRS 1/2 = ON, so Line Out 1/2 gets muted with headphones plugged in, so PH 1/2 is the only active output.

There is no level meter for Phones 1/2. The screen clearly says Main Output 1/2, whatever you configure Phones 1/2 to. And that won't change, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

35 (edited by beat8000 2023-05-28 14:53:52)

Hi Matthias,

I have just tested it e.g. by connecting two headphones on 1/2 and 3/4 and setting Mute v. TRS 1/2 = ON.
To my opinion the level meter for phones 1/2 is working for this use case. After switching the standard Mains off by clicking deeply on Volume and also turning the linked volume off the display header for 1/2 shows the following during a change of the Volume:

Volume Main 1/2
Low-Power (Auto)  - Phones

Additionally the volume of both Headphones 1/2 and 3/4 can be changed after clicking softly on Volume.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

36 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-29 05:16:37)

beat8000 wrote:

...I have just tested it e.g. by connecting two headphones on 1/2 and 3/4 and setting Mute v. TRS 1/2 = ON.
To my opinion the level meter for phones 1/2 is working for this use case. After switching the standard Mains off by clicking deeply on Volume and also turning the linked volume off the display header for 1/2 shows the following during a change of the Volume:

Volume Main 1/2
Low-Power (Auto)  - Phones

Additionally the volume of both Headphones 1/2 and 3/4 can be changed after clicking softly on Volume.

That wasn‘t doubted.
Carefully re-read the two postings above.

But, as you have seen yourself, the 1/2 Level Meter refers to the Main Out, not the Phones 1/2, even if Main Out 1/2 is muted.

Because of that, only in the special case of the meter reading “Post FX dBu”, the figures are off by 3 dB for the front TRS 1/2.

37 (edited by beat8000 2023-05-29 13:58:41)

Ok, now I have made a picture of the Headphone 1/2 volume (- 45 dB) and additionally of the switched on Dual scale for pre and post FX dBu:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t03m1yfdn4mnay8/IMG_20230529_140437.jpg?dl=1

I thought the problem is that the big number is only able to show the volume of the Mains 1/2 but not of the Phones 1/2 if the Mains are switched off. Apparently this is not the case.

However I don't know if any of the values in the scales below are matching with the -45 dB above.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

38 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-30 07:14:01)

beat8000 wrote:

Ok, now I have made a picture of the Headphone 1/2 volume (- 45 dB) and additionally of the switched on Dual scale for pre and post FX dBu:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t03m1yfdn4mnay8/IMG_20230529_140437.jpg?dl=1

I thought the problem is that the big number is only able to show the volume of the Mains 1/2 but not of the Phones 1/2 if the Mains are switched off. Apparently this is not the case.

However I don't know if any of the values in the scales below are matching with the -45 dB above.

This is the meter’s Dual Scale dB, relative to 0 dBFS, digital fullscale, independent of Reference Level.

The dBu scale is relative to 0.775 V, an absolute Voltage on ADI-2’s output..
But this Voltage is off for the Front TRS, that’s my point, nothing else.
(“Off” means incorrect, NOT inactive).

There’s no Dual Scale for dBu, but you have it on:
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/12078346.jpeg

This setting, watch out for the “u” after dB.
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/12078359.jpeg

39 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-09 10:20:23)

Is there a little mistake in the DAC’s manual page 21 and 58?

SD LD (only AKM)” - isn’t a filter with this name available on both, AKM and ESS versions?
I don’t have a DAC to check.

At least it’s there in ADI-2/4 Pro SE, which is ESS.

is this the latest firmware for the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE?

265 / 117, explained here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=37152

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

KaiS wrote:

Is there a little mistake in the DAC’s manual page 21 and 58?

SD LD (only AKM)” - isn’t a filter with this name available on both, AKM and ESS versions?
I don’t have a DAC to check.

At least it’s there in ADI-2/4 Pro SE, which is ESS.

That one uses a different chip that has that filter .

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME