Re: New macOS RME USB 4.04 driver – public beta test

Third kernel panic to report here (second on 4.04). Mac Mini M1 with a Babyface, driver 4.04 and upgraded three days ago to macOS 12.5.

Same as last time, after sleeping 1.5 hours just as the login/password screen is to pop up, it hangs (this time before waking up the monitor) and reboots. No crash dump on disk, only the Apple error report dialog. Full content of the dialog copy pasted to a text file, zipped up, and sent to the support a few minutes ago.

This time, which I didn't notice the last time; the RME driver is at the center stage:

Panicked task 0xfffffe24cf9cb3c0: 1045 pages, 3 threads: pid 699: de.rme-audio.dku

I think I mentioned it last as well, but based on some other sections of the info in the report I don't think it's the actual audio driver part, but rather the CDC interface to the Babyface causing the issues.

Hi,
maybe offtopic...

Why does TMFX not send any MIDI Data of its OUT Port if i move any of the Faders via Mouse in the TMFX App?
The TX LED does not blink... Even if i try any other MIDI Hardware for TX

The MIDI IN Port on my FF802 works fine from my Controller. The TMFX Faders move if i send the corresponding CC Mesages. And the RX LED blinks...

https://ibb.co/KbBNMTm
https://ibb.co/34xKLQS
https://ibb.co/47gVDGj

From TMFX Help:

MIDI Remote Control
   • MIDI In. Input where TotalMix receives MIDI Remote data.

• MIDI Out. Output where TotalMix sends MIDI Remote data.

• Disable MIDI in background. Deactivates MIDI Remote Control as soon as another application is in the focus, or when TotalMix has been minimized.

Did i miss something?

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

MC wrote:

We are working on 4.05 which hopefully is the final release then.

Is there any hope that my issue will be addressed with this release?

mattrixx wrote:

Hi ya.. I think I am the other one. :-)
The playback option is greyed out for me too, but the loopback method continue to work fine for me.

Hi, are you on a M1 airbook too?
Loopback sadly don't works for me since I need the physical inputs as fx returns, and without the main fx I don't need to monitor the master signal, so the future feature is highly welcome for me.. especially because of the goniometer...thats what I mainly want to see in the sum when mixing down strange fx arrangements.
greets.

3phase wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Hi ya.. I think I am the other one. :-)
The playback option is greyed out for me too, but the loopback method continue to work fine for me.

Hi, are you on a M1 airbook too?
Loopback sadly don't works for me since I need the physical inputs as fx returns, and without the main fx I don't need to monitor the master signal, so the future feature is highly welcome for me.. especially because of the goniometer...thats what I mainly want to see in the sum when mixing down strange fx arrangements.
greets.

I am on a Mac Studio Ultra. (Loopback method works for me)

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I installed the driverkit 4.04 driver on my macmini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5 with the Madiface XT, latest firmware.

The driver installed fine. I was asked to allow the driver and after a restart everything was up and running.

However, Madiface XT was only recognised when in usb2 mode. In usb3 mode the device was not recognised and not functional. With the old driver, Madiface is recognised in usb3 mode, but I get a lot of up to 5 seconds long dropouts. Since I currently only need 64 channels, I'm running the device in usb2 mode.

Nuendo 12.0.40 recognised Madiface without creating an aggregated device.

I had to reassign audio connections in Nuendo and the Audio-Midi Setup (speaker setup).

Load in Nuendo in a fairly heavy project (44.1khz, lots of VIs, plugins) at 64 samples latency was the same as with the old driver.

Load of the driverkit driver in activity monitor was about 15% with said project playing, aroung 12.5% when playing a youtube video, around 8% when playing apple music and 1.5-3.5% when idle.

When playing back music without any other activity, the ram usage is getting bigger and bigger. It's mainly the window-server that's eating memory, about 500mb in a hour. I have not compared that to the old driver yet.

I will observe further and try my macbook pro 14 next.

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

tajika wrote:

When playing back music without any other activity, the ram usage is getting bigger and bigger. It's mainly the window-server that's eating memory, about 500mb in a hour. I have not compared that to the old driver yet.

Hello my dear.

Hello, I'm sorry I hope not disturb. I'm not sure if it's related to this driver. But I just got this message from my iOS https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210999
I have a Mac M1 Max with a Fireface 802. Please advise if I'm in the right thread. Thank you!

The message is not from iOS, and the right thread on this topic is:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 39#p190639

But you are in the right thread to download the new driver and get rid of the warning that way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

El Duderino wrote:
tajika wrote:

Hello my dear.

I re-did my test, but this time with Activity Monitor closed. After two hours of music playing, memory usage was not increased. Then I re-did the test, this time with Activity Monitor open again and memory usage was increased again. Thus, this is probably more a problem of Activity Monitor and not related to the driver.

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

Tried v4.04 with an M1 Pro running MacOS 12.5.1 connected to a MADIface XT.

Are the high-numbered channels (>192) on the MADIface XT not transported?

For example:
Mic 1/2 (channel 193/4) input signals appear in TotalMix FX, but not in a DAW or DigiCheck NG.
AN 1/2, AES, or PH (channel 193/4/5/6/7/8) playback signals appear in a DAW but not in TotalMix FX or DigiCheck NG.

Little Mountain Music
MacOS 14.3.1, MADIface XT, 4 x OctaMic XTC, M-32 DA

tajika wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
tajika wrote:

Hello my dear.

I re-did my test, but this time with Activity Monitor closed. After two hours of music playing, memory usage was not increased. Then I re-did the test, this time with Activity Monitor open again and memory usage was increased again. Thus, this is probably more a problem of Activity Monitor and not related to the driver.

Hmm. Unfortunately this easy fix won't work for me. I mostly do not open or use the activity monitor. The first time I used it was because suddenly after installing beta driver my Mac Mini did not have enough RAM to handle the tasks he could handle before. Like I described it pops up a message that programs have to be closed in order to work further. But the message reappears no matter how many programs you close. I only opened the activity monitor to prove my point (does not matter how much is open) with screenshots. But I have the impression, that this bug (triggerword!) is not taken that serious from official side. MC might prove me wrong – hey c'mon you like to prove someone wrong – please do it! ;-)

It's not meant to be a "fix", it's just that I can't reproduce your issue. First I thought I had the same issue, but it seems it's more a problem of Activity Monitor than connected to the driver. Your memory leak seems to have a different cause and I can't reproduce it on my system.

64 (edited by magebarf 2022-08-22 12:22:14)

Another kernel crash today with beta driver 4.04, now updated to macOS Monterey 15.5.1 (on the M1 Mac Mini).
Panicked task: de.rme-audio.dku
Still no crash dump on disk to be found, but I copied the content of the Apple problem report dialog and sent it in to support@rme-audio.com

Do you generally reply to mails sent like this, or not?
I've sent 4 different logs, but I'm not sure if any of them arrived in the support inbox, or if all of them were stuck in the spam filter?
If they're getting through, if possible, just give a heads up in the thread, and I'll continue providing them. big_smile

carich wrote:

Tried v4.04 with an M1 Pro running MacOS 12.5.1 connected to a MADIface XT.

Are the high-numbered channels (>192) on the MADIface XT not transported?

For example:
Mic 1/2 (channel 193/4) input signals appear in TotalMix FX, but not in a DAW or DigiCheck NG.
AN 1/2, AES, or PH (channel 193/4/5/6/7/8) playback signals appear in a DAW but not in TotalMix FX or DigiCheck NG.

Works over here. Both Reaper and DigiCheck NG can use channels 193/194 (Analog 1/2 I/O).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

magebarf wrote:

Another kernel crash today with beta driver 4.04,

I forwarded it.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

magebarf wrote:

Another kernel crash today with beta driver 4.04, now updated to macOS Monterey 15.5.1 (on the M1 Mac Mini).
Panicked task: de.rme-audio.dku
Still no crash dump on disk to be found, but I copied the content of the Apple problem report dialog and sent it in to support@rme-audio.com

Thanks.

magebarf wrote:

Do you generally reply to mails sent like this, or not?

We don't.

magebarf wrote:

I've sent 4 different logs, but I'm not sure if any of them arrived in the support inbox, or if all of them were stuck in the spam filter? If they're getting through, if possible, just give a heads up in the thread, and I'll continue providing them. big_smile

We don't need further ones as  they do not provide different information than the ones already received, but thanks again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We don't.
We don't need further ones as  they do not provide different information than the ones already received, but thanks again.

Thanks for confirmation, then I know! Important thing that you received at least one of them. smile
I'll hold off reporting any additional ones unless there's a clear change in pattern on the stack trace, or a new driver version is released or similar.

The signals on high-numbered channels (>192) are present when the sample rate is < 48 kHz, but disappear when the sample rate is doubled (> 48 kHz).

We work exclusively at 88.2 kHz, so we hadn't realized it works at <= 48 kHz.

Little Mountain Music
MacOS 14.3.1, MADIface XT, 4 x OctaMic XTC, M-32 DA

Looking at TotalMix (and DigiCheck) it should be clear what happens here: the number of MADI channels shrink from 192 to 96. Analog I/O therefore is now found on channels 97/98, the higher channels are no longer used.

We will change that in the upcoming 4.05 so that the 'behind MADI' channels stay on their channel number.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey MC,

could you please add a setting option in Totalmix FX to be able to customize the service name in the OSC settings?
It shoud not be too complicated.

See:

https://cycling74.com/forums/controllin … 313272201b

The problem behind is:
Logic Pro only accepts incoming zeroconf/bonjour Connections with the ending "[iPad] (TouchOSC)" or "[iPhone] (TouchOSC)" in the service name. And Totalmix services its name always as "Totalmix FX".
Logic Pro uses the TouchOSC bundle from hexler inside its app:
/Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/PlugIns/MIDI Device Plug-ins/TouchOSC.bundle

And as far as i know its the only way to be able to communicate via OSC with Logic, without any third party bridges or tools.

At the moment it is not possible to communicate via OSC between Totalmix FX with Logic Pro directly. And bidirectional.
I would like to create a "default - setup" in Logic which would be able to control all the TMFX Params via osc... So you cold record a Song with the automations which also uses the RME internals DSP Effects, EQ and Dynamics. So it doesn't matter if you put the sliders in TMFX or in the Logic Mixer...

Regards, maggie

“Do It For Her”

maggie33 wrote:

Hey MC,

could you please add a setting option in Totalmix FX to be able to customize the service name in the OSC settings?
It shoud not be too complicated.

See:

https://cycling74.com/forums/controllin … 313272201b

The problem behind is:
Logic Pro only accepts incoming zeroconf/bonjour Connections with the ending "[iPad] (TouchOSC)" or "[iPhone] (TouchOSC)" in the service name. And Totalmix services its name always as "Totalmix FX".
Logic Pro uses the TouchOSC bundle from hexler inside its app:
/Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/PlugIns/MIDI Device Plug-ins/TouchOSC.bundle

And as far as i know its the only way to be able to communicate via OSC with Logic, without any third party bridges or tools.

At the moment it is not possible to communicate via OSC between Totalmix FX with Logic Pro directly. And bidirectional.
I would like to create a "default - setup" in Logic which would be able to control all the TMFX Params via osc... So you cold record a Song with the automations which also uses the RME internals DSP Effects, EQ and Dynamics. So it doesn't matter if you put the sliders in TMFX or in the Logic Mixer...

Regards, maggie

Ok...I found out that Logic Pro can be OSC controlled via a Script located in /Library/Audio/MIDI Device Scripts/...

From the MASCHINE MK3 OSC.device:

--[[ Requirements for OSC Profiles
For OSC Profiles, there are only three functions to be implemented:
* `controller_info`: as with any other MIDI Device Profile, provides a default assignment list, just as for other control surfaces, and also the pattern recognizing the device (`OSC_pattern`)
* `CSFeedback`: doesn't send any feedback; returns a non-null value for the maximum length of text feedback.
* `CSLabelSize`: returns the maximum length of a text label, if there is one for the assignment.

All OSC communication is done by Logic Pro — you don't have to write it.]]

This is a first point to start...

“Do It For Her”

73 (edited by stromkraft 2022-08-30 03:29:13)

I'm another one that gets recurring dropouts with 4.04 in my original Babyface. So far it seems this happens mostly when running non-DAW media apps, like video streaming, VLC, media playback in Trello, Apple Music and so on through Babyface. I'm not 100% certain this doesn't happen in the DAWs, but I haven't experienced it in major way. All of these sources being trouble-free with 3.27 and with other audio outputs, like native outputs or other audio interfaces.

Edit
You can listen to two examples here at fidbak.audio, one being one full dropout and one partial gnarly dropout. Audio source this time was Trello media playback and it was recorded with internal loopback so happens in the digital domain, I believe.
End edit

Interestingly, I can occasionally provoke a dropout doing stuff in the GUI, like operating the volume control in Trello or right-clicking on a track to add it to play later in Apple Music. Far from every time though. It makes me think of interrupts. I haven't seen much of that since I left Intel.

In the streaming apps (from iOS), this happens 1-2 times a minute or so, then not for a while. Same with video apps like VLC.

About when Apple Music suddenly stopped playback I got this in system logs.

default    05:53:42.040904+0200    firefaceUSBAgent    Recieved DFR status change 183. status = 0x5
default    05:53:42.041681+0200    firefaceUSBAgent    Reacting to DFR status change 183. status = 0x5
default    05:53:42.044608+0200    Fireface USB Settings    Recieved DFR status change 50. status = 0x5
default    05:53:42.046056+0200    Fireface USB Settings    Reacting to DFR status change 50. status = 0x5
default    05:53:51.353626+0200    firefaceUSBAgent    Recieved DFR status change 184. status = 0x1
default    05:53:51.354000+0200    firefaceUSBAgent    Reacting to DFR status change 184. status = 0x1
default    05:53:51.358350+0200    Fireface USB Settings    Recieved DFR status change 51. status = 0x1
default    05:53:51.359342+0200    Fireface USB Settings    Reacting to DFR status change 51. status = 0x1

This may not be relevant. I'm not familiar with DFR.

macOS 11.6.8 in a MacBook Pro 13" M1 with 16 gb / 1 tb. Babyface connected directly via USB-C port.

Thanks for great drivers. I hope these dropouts can be fixed somehow.

Any tips for useful data I can gather would be every welcome. I want to help if I can.

RME Babyface v226 | 4.07 | MacBook Pro 13" 2020 | 16gb/1tb

74 (edited by mattrixx 2022-08-29 01:18:17)

I am seeing this exact behaviour.  (GUI interaction, system sounds, etc etc)
Even a message notification sound will set it off. (I'v disabled notifications, but the "alert" sound trigger seems to set it off, even when routing them through the Mac Internal speakers.
Sometimes won’t hear a dropout, but it affects DAW buffers after.a few seconds. 
ProTools ultimate will throw 6101 error and stop (even when no plugins or even with video engine off)
Logic will glitch. (audio dropout, or CPU error... with hardly any CPU use)

I can make it happen just by taking a Screenshot via Command-Shift-3.  It will glitch several seconds later.
Something is a miss.

It’s really doing me in.

Going to have to go back to 3.74 at this point.  (will report back if this doesn't fix it).
Must be worse with MacOS 12.5.1 as well in my experience

This is on Mac Studio Ultra.

----------------
----------------

After installation my Fireface 802 was no more detected had to go back to 3.27

76 (edited by mattrixx 2022-08-29 03:36:22)

Ok, so after re-installing v3.27 I am still getting for example DAW errors when an alert sound occurs, so I am thinking something has changed with OS12.5.1

****EDIT:  I've since discovered it was an AVID audio driver (Library/Audio/Plugins/HAL/ "AVID audio driver in here"

4.04 working once again.

----------------
----------------

Just adding for the record that I at first thought I might have hit some memory bug myself as I suddenly got a message I had used up all app memory (16gb), which was a first, but turned out this likely was the developer Docker app using the 9 gb I had forgot I had given it. Quitting that gave me back 9gb.

78 (edited by stromkraft 2022-08-31 23:24:04)

New situation, that have happened before also with 3.27, but is not that common.

Do:
I try to play a wav-file, an m4a-file in Finder or a youtube video, or basically any media anywhere. When this occurred just now I was playing an audio file inside Trello and listening through my headphones that are connected to my RME Babyface.

Happens:
Nothing. I can't play anything. All media is as if frozen.

Expected:
To be able to play back media, any media.

How do I know this is at all related to the RME audio interface is that when I disconnect it and wait for a while, a long while like a minute, and I try to select another system audio output, this is at first not leading to anything. Finally, when the Babyface option disappears my selection will finally kick in and system audio, not via Fireface, works again and all playback is functional.

I found a crash report named "RMEUsbAsp" that would seem related to this issue. Full log at pastebin.

Further symptoms is that I seem to have to restart to get Fireface back running. This is what I get when reinserting the USB cable (USB-C to USB-B):

default    00:50:29.030786+0200    kernel    Kext de.rme-audio.driver.RMEFirefaceUSB is not loadable
default    00:50:29.030806+0200    kernel    Kext de.rme-audio.driver.RMEFirefaceUSB failed to load (0xdc008013).
default    00:50:29.030813+0200    kernel    Failed to load kext de.rme-audio.driver.RMEFirefaceUSB (error 0xdc008013).

hi!
using this 4.04
I sometimes get a strange thing happen when re-booting - I use Logic, and sometimes the driver shows up as Madiface USB () . . .  ie no serial number between the brackets,
when this happens all OPs play out of 1-2
Sometimes the "correct" serial number version of the driver shows up, and I switch to that, and its all good
Sometimes the "correct" version is not on the list and I have to restart a few times to make it show up.
Any ideas?
Many thanks!

Are you still using an UFX? Is that one on the latest firmware USB 361, DSP 163, FW 344, Class Compliant 29? Your computer model? Any errors listed in the display?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33684

Switching the UFX Off/On should help quicker than rebooting the Mac.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Are you still using an UFX? Is that one on the latest firmware USB 361, DSP 163, FW 344, Class Compliant 29? Your computer model? Any errors listed in the display?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33684

Switching the UFX Off/On should help quicker than rebooting the Mac.

Nope - Madiface USB - its on the latest firmware 25 smile

Many thanks

Matt

On MacBook Pro M1Max with Ventura OSX is working fine!!

Any movement/updates on drivers?

I mentioned on another thread, that in my case I'd *really* like to see a driver update for HDSPe, since experiments seem to show that current latest driver has a bug in my scenario. Updated USB drivers cured this.

If I aggregate devices on my Mac (3x HDSPe cards), Cubase won't work in that mode. If I aggregate an HDSPe card with *anything* else, like a USB audio device, then Cubase won't work.

Same was true for my Fireface UC, until the new development drivers dropped.

I ideally need those 24 analogue inputs for my studio.

There's also the bug I've previously mentioned, where I see a floor of noise on one of the HDSPe cards, unless I reboot again - which clears the issue. Looks very much like an initialisation sequencing thing.

Hoping for an update!

84 (edited by stromkraft 2022-09-02 18:05:50)

stromkraft wrote:

I'm another one that gets recurring dropouts with 4.04 in my original Babyface. So far it seems this happens mostly when running non-DAW media apps, …Apple Music and so on through Babyface.
Interestingly, I can occasionally provoke a dropout doing stuff in the GUI, like operating the volume control in Trello or right-clicking on a track to add it to play later in Apple Music. Far from every time though. It makes me think of interrupts. I haven't seen much of that since I left Intel..

So when playing a track in the Apple Music app these are actions that can cause a short dropout, with which I mean an obvious deviation in sound, not silence:

• starting a web browser

• starting a Spotlight search

• quitting an app

• Not doing much but listening to the music

I see no indication of memory pressure or overloads. Dropouts last for a very brief moment.

Today was the first time I heard such a dropout in my DAW. It happened just once though in an hour long session.

85 (edited by stromkraft 2022-09-03 05:50:59)

stromkraft wrote:

I'm another one that gets recurring dropouts with 4.04 in my original Babyface. So far it seems this happens mostly when running non-DAW media apps, like video streaming, VLC, media playback in Trello, Apple Music and so on through Babyface. I'm not 100% certain this doesn't happen in the DAWs, but I haven't experienced it in major way. All of these sources being trouble-free with 3.27 and with other audio outputs, like native outputs or other audio interfaces.

Well, now I've experienced a major dropout in one DAW, Ableton Live 11.1.6 native in macOS 11.6.8.

What I did

With Live in full screen on my external I clicked the manual option for a Waves 13 plug-in, which opened in the PDF app Skim in another window, so there was a Window switch from the full screen desktop to a previous not full screen with other open apps.

Happened

The audio dropped out completely
The GUI didn't respond to any actions
I couldn't click or move anywhere
Command-tab, Control-arrow nor Alt-Cmd-Esc didn't work
Not until I pulled out the USB-C connecting the Babyface could I get back into the DAW and save
When I reinserted the cable, I could reselect and use the audio interface again, so no need to restart.

Expected

Audio to play on while I was reading the manual
No audio dropouts of any sort

I have no reason to think the exact same thing would happen if I did everything the same again. That's what makes this so vexing. At this point I'm assuming the driver is involved as I have no recollection of this being the case with 3.27, but I'll try to work with internal audio for a few sessions to see if that makes a difference.

It would be a good thing to verify whether the beta driver is involved or not. Open for suggestions how to gather data. Or just let me know this kind of problems are being investigated so no need to.

86 (edited by stromkraft 2022-09-06 05:55:40)

stromkraft wrote:

I'm another one that gets recurring dropouts with 4.04 in my original Babyface.

You can listen to two examples here at fidbak.audio, one being one full dropout and one partial gnarly dropout.

stromkraft wrote:

I can't play anything. All media is as if frozen.

stromkraft wrote:

I see no indication of memory pressure or overloads.

stromkraft wrote:

It would be a good thing to verify whether the beta driver is involved or not. Open for suggestions how to gather data. Or just let me know this kind of problems are being investigated so no need to.

After now having not used my RME audio interface for a few days, there have been zero issues like the one above. This is strongly suggesting the issues Ive experienced are linked to the 4.04beta driver.

Do RME need any more data that I can help you with, @MC?

I too have had zero issues since removing those AVID HAL drivers I mentioned in my previous post.

----------------
----------------

After using the 4.04 driver for a couple of weeks, I had roughly once a week the issue that after booting up the computer all audio is heavily distorted, regardless if using the daw or just playing music from itunes or youtube. The issue either goes away after a couple of minutes or requires a reboot. No error message is displayed.

It might have to do with spotlight or sync services working in the background after boot.

@MC I don't know if it's been already mentioned, but in TotalMix FX 1.77b3 when I got a prompt for a mismatch mix in TotalMix, the dialogue is referring to the UFX and not to the UCX II I'm using

That's fixed already, but thanks:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 00#p191800

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

91 (edited by stromkraft 2022-09-23 10:42:55)

New update for me: I've updated my MBP to macOS 12.6, did not reinstall drivers, so not certain there isn't still a Big Sur specific 4.04 driver and problems are way less frequent. I did adjust the security settings so no kernel drivers possible.

Are there any updates on the status of the driver?

Click on the link two posts above.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME