Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

MC wrote:
naturligasteg wrote:

I read that as there are no need to remove anything manually if the installation goes through.

Exactly.

naturligasteg wrote:

Where is that part with files to remove?

In the manual, chapter driver deinstallation.

naturligasteg wrote:

ILooking at settings in Fireface I have Firmware: v19 Driver: v4.06 beta now. Where can I see if there is something old left on this Mac?

You don't and don't need to. If there is something left you would get the same error message as the other user.

naturligasteg wrote:

What is the full process to remove all and install drivers from scratch if that may solve the pop and stop play back issue?

It doesn't.

naturligasteg wrote:

II have tried different usb port and is seems about the same... goes many hours without any issues and the suddenly there is a pop or stop or two...

In the end it is Apple's responsibility to make DriverKit work without such effects. THEY put DriverKit on all of us, and THEY decided that a not-kernel based solution is good enough for anyone. Although technically that is more than questionable.

That said pops and clicks can also happen with kernel-based drivers.

Hi MC!

I have tried all the methods in this post, but still get pops and clicks while payback on my Babyface Pro FS with firmware 201 and driver v4.06! Is there a solution yet for this or do we just have to wait for another version to come? Years of flawless drivers with RME on Intel so I guess its an Apple problem. Strangely though when I use my FF800 on the same M1 MacBook Pro it runs flawlessly. When can we expect a solution for this as its impossible to run a session because of all the glitching.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

mlprod wrote:

Are you guys using aggregate devices by any chance?

No. No agregate devices.

Will also note that after using a stable build (3.28) for the last week, I didn't have any issues. It does seem to be the beta.

103 (edited by theblind 2023-01-27 13:03:37)

Sorry for german, but my english isn't good enough...

Meine Beobachtungen:

Die Sicherheitsregeln beim Kernel müssen bei der Installation unten sein (wie für v3.x beschrieben), auch ist erst eine Installation von der letzten (offiziellen) 3.x hilfreich und dann ein Upgrade auf die 4.06b. Anders hab ich es nicht ans Laufen bekommen. Die Sicherheitsregeln beim Kernel müssen wohl unten bleiben, beim Zurückstellen auf den normalen Zustand wird fireusb und totalmix nicht mehr ordentlich hochgefahren beim Booten und das Gerät bleibt stumm.

Geräte: Mac Mini mit dem M1 Chip, 16 GB, 10Gbit Nic,
Babyface S/N: 2361.... mit FW 226

MacOS Ventura 13.2

Cu.

krow01 wrote:
mlprod wrote:

No. No agregate devices.

Will also note that after using a stable build (3.28) for the last week, I didn't have any issues. It does seem to be the beta.

I am very new to Mac and I have no deep insights in driver coding or the OS, but I did not have the same problems with glitches before this version 4.06 so I agree that is seems to have a connection with the beta on the M1.

naturligasteg wrote:
krow01 wrote:
mlprod wrote:

No. No agregate devices.

I am very new to Mac and I have no deep insights in driver coding or the OS, but I did not have the same problems with glitches before this version 4.06 so I agree that is seems to have a connection with the beta on the M1.

Also should mention that I'm on Intel.

Is there any experience with the driver on Mac OS Ventura? Is a compatibility patch planned in the near future or does the 4.06 run without problems on Ventura so far?

FZ wrote:

Is there any experience with the driver on Mac OS Ventura? Is a compatibility patch planned in the near future or does the 4.06 run without problems on Ventura so far?

You don't even need the beta driver, it works.

108 (edited by naturligasteg 2023-02-11 07:10:57)

FZ wrote:

Yes. I am running Ventura 13.1 on a Mac Studio and the playback of audio stops and produce silence for a few milliseconds randomly. This is most prominent for me when looking at Youtube shows, but happends in other programs as well. Not so much in Cubase. My theory is that I listen to shorter chunks in Cubase before I stop playback to make edits. I find that this problem gets worse with time. The longe I have hade the 4.06b the more this problem manifests. I did not notice it with 4.04. The best way I can describe it is like there is some kind of buffer that fills up with time. I am seriously contempation removing 4.06 and going back on 4.04.

FZ wrote:

The current stable USB driver (version 3.28) supports macOS 11 and up, so you should just be able to use that one. Do you have any issues with the stable driver?

Trank you for your reply. I'm still on macOS 12 with my MacBook Pro M1 Pro and currently have no problems with the 4.06b driver for my UFX.
I'm just slowly considering an update and wanted to know if this is possible with the beta driver or if there will be problems.
The 4.06b is now also a while in beta testing and I was curious if there will be a 4.07b or a rc in the near future?

Without sounding rude, its quite absurd that a company like RME, which has been churning out top class drivers over so many years, seems stumped with DriverKit and cannot get a quick solution for this problem. I can understand if its a problem with all interfaces, but that's not the case as this problem does't occur with even basic interfaces from other companies. Its high time they stop blaming Apple and I really hope we get a driver that just works. Its frustrating because its practically impossible to work with the current issues! Humble request to RME to get this sorted ASAP!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

I think it is too much to call this absurd, but I also find it a bit surpricing given my long experience with great driver support from RME over many years that this problem can not be sorted. I assume that RME have a professional connection with Apple to solve this. But If it indeed is a problem caused by Apple and Apple ignore RME I would like to get a good description of this case so we can all send that request to Apples support and kick the ball over to get this solved.

Same issue here as @naturligasteg, leaks during playback. With MacOs 13.0.1 it wasn't that bad as it is now after updating to 13.2.1 (22D68). The leaks occur when switching between applications, open a website in a new browser window etc. Before MacOs Ventura everything was perfect. Tested on MBP 16" 2019, 2,4GHz, i9.

@RME: Please fix this and update / release a new version of this driver!

Oliverrr wrote:

Same issue here as @naturligasteg, leaks during playback. With MacOs 13.0.1 it wasn't that bad as it is now after updating to 13.2.1 (22D68). The leaks occur when switching between applications, open a website in a new browser window etc. Before MacOs Ventura everything was perfect. Tested on MBP 16" 2019, 2,4GHz, i9.

Do you also experince that this problem of silience gets worse everytime you use it? Just now I tried to look at an episode of BadGear on Youtube. The first minute was fine. in the seconds sound was lost twice in the third minute it was about 5 to 10 times of dropout and int the forth minute I gave up it was dropout in sound every five seconds or so. Safari and sound does not work well at all any more.

soundpotion wrote:

I can understand if its a problem with all interfaces, but that's not the case as this problem does't occur with even basic interfaces from other companies.

You have any proof for this statement? And don't include driverless units (Class Compliant, lots on the market) as all these use the system driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@BlackBlossom
If you have problems with the beta driver, why not just use the current and working one from the main site?

117 (edited by mlprod 2023-02-18 00:22:34)

BlackBlossom wrote:

The USB kext disconnects from Totalmix after a period of 30mins to 2 hours, and the Thunderbolt kext crackles at low latencies. When I said I had problems I'm talking about ALL FOUR driver options, USB/Thunderbolt Kext, USB/Thunderbolt Driverkit. Otherwise I'd be away happily making music and not posting here.

Ok I see, but that can be something with your system. I know three people that use the UFX+ on Apple silicon and they are all rock solid.

mlprod wrote:
BlackBlossom wrote:

The USB kext disconnects from Totalmix after a period of 30mins to 2 hours, and the Thunderbolt kext crackles at low latencies. When I said I had problems I'm talking about ALL FOUR driver options, USB/Thunderbolt Kext, USB/Thunderbolt Driverkit. Otherwise I'd be away happily making music and not posting here.

Ok I see, but that can be something with your system. I know three people that use the UFX+ on Apple silicon and they are all rock solid.

Anything is possible, but since there are more of of having this problem, that we did not experience before using older MAc OS and older drivers the logical conclusion is that there is something wrong with either the newer Mac OS Ventura or the newer RME drivers. I have this can be sorted out reasonably soon or I also feel I have to move to another platform. My first step will be to downgrade my RME drivers today and see what results that give me.

I've been speaking with Apple about the Core Audio driver problems for a while now and have been sending Capture data to the engineers who are aware of the issues.
This is not an RME issue, as it happens with any driver, including the built in Mac speaker drivers. (MacOS Ventura 13.2.1)
For example, if you bring up system settings and play an alert sound whilst Pro Tools is running, Pro Tools will stop and throw an error.
If you do the sae while streaming from Apple Music, or Logic Pro, they will glitch.
I have disable alert sounds for everything that I am able to, however, the Finder for example, will throw an error alert (even if inaudible) if you do something wrong and it will have the same result.

I hope I explained that well enough, but I can reproduce this exactly on both my M1Max MacBook Pro and M1 Ultra Studio.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Ok, Matrix. I have not noticed any alert sounds interfering when I have lost playback. If disabling alerts help I could have tried that, but I just reinstalled 3.27 driver again and so far it seems ok, but on the other hand I did not experience the problem on 4.06 in the first days either so time will tell.

121 (edited by mlprod 2023-02-18 16:33:29)

mattrixx wrote:

I've been speaking with Apple about the Core Audio driver problems for a while now and have been sending Capture data to the engineers who are aware of the issues.
This is not an RME issue, as it happens with any driver, including the built in Mac speaker drivers. (MacOS Ventura 13.2.1)
For example, if you bring up system settings and play an alert sound whilst Pro Tools is running, Pro Tools will stop and throw an error.
If you do the sae while streaming from Apple Music, or Logic Pro, they will glitch.
I have disable alert sounds for everything that I am able to, however, the Finder for example, will throw an error alert (even if inaudible) if you do something wrong and it will have the same result.

I hope I explained that well enough, but I can reproduce this exactly on both my M1Max MacBook Pro and M1 Ultra Studio.

I def do not have that problem. Strange, but all improvments to CoreAudio is welcomed of course.

MC wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

I can understand if its a problem with all interfaces, but that's not the case as this problem does't occur with even basic interfaces from other companies.

You have any proof for this statement? And don't include driverless units (Class Compliant, lots on the market) as all these use the system driver.

I already mentioned in an earlier post that I also own an RME Fireface 800 and it runs perfectly fine with that! Same computer, sessions, plugins etc.  So the problem is with the USB driver used by the Babyface Pro FS! I also borrowed a UA Apollo Twin from a friend and it works absolutely fine! I am not not the only one complaining so obviously there is a problem!

After writing to RME support and getting a very rude response, I guess I just have to wait for this problem to get fixed when it does!I hope someone takes notice of this as its quite unprofessional!  Meanwhile if you are a logic user and in audio prefs you keep processing threads to automatic and multithreading to "Playback & Live tracks"the pops and clicks problem doesn't disappear completely, but gets a little better.

BlackBlossom wrote:
MC wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

Yes I can give you an example, I have two Audient iD44 mkII's. If i connect these to the Apple Silicon MBP16, they are never not recognised, don't have any crackles happening randomly, and don't do any moments of silence like on the UFX+. I'm not sure what the issue is here, I know Apple can be difficult and change things on a whim, and often don't document things well but there are manufacturers without RME's reputation who seem to have working drivers on Apple Silicon. June 2020 was when the DTK developer M1 Mac Minis came out, and it's now 2 years and 8 months since then and we don't have a functioning audio driver for the UFX.

Here you go MC! you wanted proof! Here's some more. Its not an isolated issue! Its a problem with the USB driver in general.

First you bring an example of an old-style FireWire driver which cannot be compared to USB Kernel or Driver Kit at all. Second I asked you  to not come up with driverless interfaces - the Audient is exactly that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

126 (edited by soundpotion 2023-02-19 21:43:43)

MC wrote:

First you bring an example of an old-style FireWire driver which cannot be compared to USB Kernel or Driver Kit at all. Second I asked you  to not come up with driverless interfaces - the Audient is exactly that.

Well, I didn't come up with the Audient example but I thought it had drivers. My Bad. People I know with other interfaces have no problems at all. My knowledge of coding is limited so I will not comment on the firewire driver, but that was intended to be a feedback that things are perfect on a really old device! At the end of the day I am not here to challenge anyone, but to find a solution for my problem. I paid for an RME device and expect it to work which it doesn't because of this diver issue. I have contacted support as well but got a very rude reply. Hope to get a solution and some professionalism from RME soon.

MC wrote:

Matthias you seem to be talking to two people at once here. I didn't bring up a Firewire driver. I did however bring up the Audient, which has a MacOS driver with loopback device and a Mixer gui application.

I get it that the driver fixes aren't high priority at RME any more but people are not posting here because it's fun, especially when the company responses are 100% rude. I've personally spent upwards of £20,000 on RME interfaces over the years, and I guarantee you that being rude to professional customers is no way to retain them, or anyone in the business who knows them.

I have been asking for help with this for a while but in reality the interfaces I have are now just 'kind of' functioning and now I am just looking to their wholesale replacement.

Actually, come to think about it - This is my last post here, please delete this account and all associated posts.

BlackBlossom wrote:

Actually, come to think about it - This is my last post here, please delete this account and all associated posts.

I understand your position to remove a negative experience from you online presence, but I think others would benefit from knowing about your issues until the matter is resolved. I have not met with any kind of rudeness so far, but I am also a bit unhappy with the situation being a long time customer and having owned several RME products over the years I am not ready to abandon ship yet even though it is growing in my mind as well.

In https://developer.apple.com/documentati … verkit_sdk apple clearly states:
Important
DriverKit doesn’t support USB devices that manipulate audio or that communicate wirelessly over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. For those types of devices, create a kernel extension using IOKit.
Am I missing something or RME driver doesn't manipulate audio?
Does it mean that RME USB driver using driverkit is doomed?

naturligasteg wrote:
BlackBlossom wrote:

I understand your position to remove a negative experience from you online presence, but I think others would benefit from knowing about your issues until the matter is resolved. I have not met with any kind of rudeness so far, but I am also a bit unhappy with the situation being a long time customer and having owned several RME products over the years I am not ready to abandon ship yet even though it is growing in my mind as well.

RME user for over 10 years! I have never faced issues or unprofessional behaviour from them. I have myself invested a lot in RME products and have advised countless people to buy RME gear! More than anything I'm just sad because of this sudden decline! I would share screenshots of my mails with support and their sarcastic responses, but I'm not here to play the blame game. I just want solutions! I still trust I will find the peace of mind with RME products soon!

rjan wrote:

In https://developer.apple.com/documentati … verkit_sdk apple clearly states:
Important
DriverKit doesn’t support USB devices that manipulate audio or that communicate wirelessly over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. For those types of devices, create a kernel extension using IOKit.
Am I missing something or RME driver doesn't manipulate audio?
Does it mean that RME USB driver using driverkit is doomed?

If they have to re-write the code then so be it. Or they should mention on the website that they don't have a working USB driver for Mac so that people don't buy a new device and get stuck! Its been too long now since this problem started! Apple is not going to change their stuff for one company! So like other companies have found ways to deal with it, so should RME!

naturligasteg wrote:
Oliverrr wrote:

Do you also experince that this problem of silience gets worse everytime you use it? Just now I tried to look at an episode of BadGear on Youtube. The first minute was fine. in the seconds sound was lost twice in the third minute it was about 5 to 10 times of dropout and int the forth minute I gave up it was dropout in sound every five seconds or so. Safari and sound does not work well at all any more.

On my system it looks like, it always happens in combination with a user action.

Oliverr , no I did not do anything but sit and watch a few episodes of BadGear and sound got more and more glitchy all the time.... But I saw a few system notices from apple about Apples clods service(which I have not enabled cause I prefer to keep my files local). That was the only "interaction" going on.

135 (edited by averver 2023-02-21 22:07:25)

With the hope that the USB driver issues reported here would be resolved by a Mac OS update, I looked for any sign of a Ventura beta release, and it looks like Apple just released (this past Friday) Ventura 13.3 (https://www.macrumors.com/2023/02/17/ma … ic-beta-1/). However, it was not available for download from Apple's developer site, perhaps because I had not joined the Apple Developer Program. I just purchased the membership ($99/year) but I am still waiting for Apple to "process the subscription."  Can anyone download 13.3 beta and check if it resolves the issues reported here?

Lets hope Mac know about it and can/want to fix it. Are you a Mac developer? If you feel like it please try and build and M1 installer for SynEdit. https://github.com/SynEdit/SynEdit

Current 4.06 driver doesn't work well on Ventura 13.2.1 / Babyface Pro FS. Lot's of drop-outs using Teams, youtube or playing music. Right now the interface is unusable for regular OS use, because the stable drivers have the same issues. DAW is working just fine. I would suggest an option to be able to switch between core audio and proprietary rme driver to work around these issues.

I am not sure, if this is an issue of the RME USB driver, but I've had some strange behavior twice last week: in the middle of a online meeting suddenly a few seconds of my voice stream did an infinite loop. First I thought, it was this buggy Slack app, but a day later it was with Skype too. It happens randomly. As Skype and Slack are two fully different apps, it must be something used by both apps. Apple sound / usb driver? RME USB driver? I will observe it …

139 (edited by tigersoul 2023-02-28 20:59:26)

Finally got to installing driver on my new m1 max. It plays great, low latency is amazing. But... Even sitting idle not outputting sound at all, I get these cpu usage stats. is this normal? Does the beta driver use more cpu than the classic driver or is the cpu use of the classic driver just hidden from the user?

https://imgur.com/a/q0kyKlD

Hi Tigersoul. I recently downgraded to get rid of the dropouts so I am on 3.7 driver now. RMEusb and Coreaudio does not show up in my activities and Totalmix show 1,9% on my Mac Studio M1 when idling like I am now.

naturligasteg wrote:

Hi Tigersoul. I recently downgraded to get rid of the dropouts so I am on 3.7 driver now. RMEusb and Coreaudio does not show up in my activities and Totalmix show 1,9% on my Mac Studio M1 when idling like I am now.

The 3.x driver runs in kernel mode, so its CPU usage would account against the "kernel_task" process (PID 0).
The 4.x driver runs in user mode, in its own process, which is what you were seeing previous to downgrading.

53b1f60f6980 wrote:
naturligasteg wrote:

The 3.x driver runs in kernel mode, so its CPU usage would account against the "kernel_task" process (PID 0).
The 4.x driver runs in user mode, in its own process, which is what you were seeing previous to downgrading.

So, essentially, the cpu usage was just hidden under another name. I noticed though that most of my cpu usage came from having reverb on. I didn't realize it was even on. Turning it off, lowered the usage. Quitting totalmix lowered a little bit more still, but it's still not zero, but perfectly tolerable.

What surprises me is even disconnecting the interface completelly leaves a little bit of cpu usage from com.apple.DriverKit.AppleUserECM of 0,4%.This is not much to write home about but I still don't get it why cpu is used for a driver that is not connected to anything.

I assume, from the info above, that this 0,4% would just hide under kernel_task instead if I downgraded? correct?

The 4.06 beta driver seems to work perfectly fine on the Mac Mini M2 Pro, running MacOS Ventura 13.2.1, using the Fireface UCX, plugged directly in one if the Mac Mini's USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, for the past 3 or so weeks.

Haven't noticed any issues what so ever while doing some day-to-day stuff like making Skype calls, and listening to music over YouTube or Spotify. I haven't tried recording anything on Logic Pro (v10.7.7), but the playback of some old recordings also worked fine. All the above apps are Apple-native.

In case this is helpful for the developers, I took screenshots of the Activity Monitor that show the load on the system in 3 different cases: one with no audio app running, one with Spotify, and one with YouTube on Safari. All screenshots were taken after about 1 minute run-in in each case so the system had settled a bit.

No audio app: https://pasteboard.co/YJxzFQTZ5PqT.png

Spotify: https://pasteboard.co/sA7KGOpTGEnS.png

YouTube on Safari: https://pasteboard.co/1tVN8d4gPuiY.png

I don't know what the load was in the previous driver because I haven't used it on this machine (and I'm planning to stick with this one since it works great), so I can't tell if the numbers I've shared are higher or lower than expected. Just sharing the info in case it is useful for the developers.

Cheers,
V

Hi, just my experience. I have been using the 4.06 beta with Monterey for about 6 months with absolutely zero issues, on a M1 MBP with Logic, and a madiface USB connected with a CalDigit TS3. I had to update to Ventura for various other reasons, and since then I do get some pops and clicks on playback of Logic files sometimes, but Im pretty sure its something to do with other parts of the OS intefering in some way with the RME stuff? For example, when I updated, a bunch of notifications got set to ON by default, and whenever a notification came up, I would get a small audio glitch. I have turned them all off (I think) but I sometimes still get glitches. One way to "force" a glitch is to swap apps to something like Brave or Safari while playing a file in Logic. If I have something like youTube open in the browser, I will get a glitch when I switch apps. Now... Im not suggesting you should be doing this when making audio, but it does seem odd that I never had this problem under Monterey. Its like the whole structure of audio priorities is somehow different in Ventura? I dont know. Anyway... it doesnt feel quite as solid under Ventura as it did under Monterey.
Likewise, something else I used to do a lot under my INtel system with the old 3 driver was have ABleton and Logic open at the same time and use loopback to run ableton stuff into Logic. (both using the RME Madiface as their interface). this seems much more precarious under Monterey and Ventura with the 4.06 than it did with the 3 driver and Intel. I get pops and clicks quite often in this setup.

145 (edited by mattrixx 2023-03-13 00:36:25)

I get pops and clicks quite often in this setup.

With Ventura...
If you open System Settings / Sound and go to the top the panel and fire off some alert sounds using the little Play button next to the name of the alert sound, (Note, I'm not even using the RME device for alert sounds), it will glitch the audio.  It will actually, in the case of Pro Tools Ultimate using the RME driver, cause it to throw an error and stop.
It's NOT the RME beta doing this, as it does it with the 3 series drivers too.. It's a Mac OS issue.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/5a90ec64-d765-4cd3-adb6-e2bae18d2229/Dk97aLfvqM6yzpsXUN-M0DfPUAQzQ9EYp2VaMBDZ7JbOi42f-MvWlZMUSg/deep/0/image.png

----------------
----------------

thanks @mattrixx - yes thats kinda what I suspected. I wonder if its something Apple might resolve one day.... or of they care :-/

I know they’re aware of it, to some extent. However, I think the more people that report it.. (ie by doing what I reported in my previous post) and reporting to Apple support, the quicker it’ll be resolved.

----------------
----------------

This is not true when using the 3.27 driver. After downgrading to 3.27 I can click the systemsound play like hardtechno 300bpm and not get a single glitch. So it must be some combination of the 4--xbeta driver and Ventura OS. It is not a universal Mac OS problem. My Mac Studio works good with my RME802 now when I am back on 3.27.

mattrixx wrote:

I get pops and clicks quite often in this setup.

With Ventura...
If you open System Settings / Sound and go to the top the panel and fire off some alert sounds using the little Play button next to the name of the alert sound, (Note, I'm not even using the RME device for alert sounds), it will glitch the audio.  It will actually, in the case of Pro Tools Ultimate using the RME driver, cause it to throw an error and stop.
It's NOT the RME beta doing this, as it does it with the 3 series drivers too.. It's a Mac OS issue.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s172/sh/5a90ec64-d765-4cd3-adb6-e2bae18d2229/Dk97aLfvqM6yzpsXUN-M0DfPUAQzQ9EYp2VaMBDZ7JbOi42f-MvWlZMUSg/deep/0/image.png

@naturligasteg - thats very interesting.... I was on the 3.27 with a Monterey M1 MBP and had all sorts of weird issues, which is why I went to the 4x beta. But now maybe I should try reverting to 3.27 again!

mattrobertson wrote:

@naturligasteg - thats very interesting.... I was on the 3.27 with a Monterey M1 MBP and had all sorts of weird issues, which is why I went to the 4x beta. But now maybe I should try reverting to 3.27 again!

I had some minor issues on 3.27 also before made the last update of Ventura. After that 3.27 has been ok. I am not sure if the 4beta may work with the latest Ventura, but I am not in the mood of reinstalling and testing that again since it did not work on the earlier Ventura versions. Have you made the last Ventura update?