Rough calculation for such a campaign.
I guess for this you will need around 4 ppl to work on
- driver programming
- application programming
- testing and later support
- interfacing with Linux project, keeping track of kernel design changes, sound infrastructure
- Evaluation which of the Linux major packaging standards to support:
RPM - Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, SUSE
DEB - Debian, Ubuntu,
Pacman - Arch
or compressed tar archive for manual extraction and installation by either script or instructions in a README
- Which sound system to support on normal OS level, I know of these backends:
JACK, ALSA, PulseAudio, GStreamer, OSS (legacy).
- 2nd/3rd level troubleshooting of audio issues in the Linux world
2-3y time before all the rough edges are out. Makes around €250k per year fix costs salary alone.
And then you need to hope that DAW and VST/VSTi products will do the same investment in their area.
And this is not Star Citizen, people at the end expect a product to work with and you need DAW and 3rd party product support (VST, VSTi, HW controllers).
So to survive the first 3y you need around 750k and you do not know whether this will be really a success.
This requires around 30.000 people to fund €25 on average.
X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10 Pro 1909, Cubase, UFX+, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, ARC USB